When you submit proposals for government (and some private sector) projects, you will almost certainly be asked for a Dun & Bradstreet DUNS (or D-U-N-S) Number, a nine-digit identification number for each physical location of your business.

To do business with US government, and many larger corporations, you may need a DUNS Number – not easy to get if you are not in the US!

A D-U-N-S Number assignment is free for all businesses required to register with the federal government for contracts or grants.

To register for a D-U-N-S Number, you will need:

  • Legal name
  • Headquarters name and address for your business
  • Doing Business As (DBA) or other name by which your business is commonly recognized.
  • Physical address, city, state, and ZIP Code
  • Mailing address (if separate from headquarters and/or physical address)
  • Telephone number
  • Contact name and title
  • Number of employees at your physical location
  • Whether you are a Home-Based Business


To get a D-U-N-S Number, search D-U-N-S Request Service. If you experience any difficulty, please contact ExportAction.